Opened: 17th June, 1850.
Surprisingly for a short branch line, the North Berwick Branch, along with the stations at Drem, Longniddry and Prestonpans, escaped the Beeching Axe and ultimately became one of a very select few Scottish branch lines to survive the 1960s, though during British Rail's 1970s nadir it had a derisory service. The station at North Berwick was formerly a substantial structure with two long platforms bounded on three sides by buildings and canopies. There was a large goods yard, and sidings ran across the main road beyond the station into the town's gasworks. A signal box and small locomotive shed were situated to the south of the station. The formerly double-track branch from Drem on the East Coast Main Line had been reduced to a long siding in January 1968, leaving a large part of the station buildings redundant; these were demolished in 1984 and only a single platform remains, cut short and with only a small utilitarian platform building. However, the branch is now electrified and the frequency of the train service has improved beyond recognition in recent years.
This station has been the scene of several accidents due to the steep descending gradient approaching the station.
Ex-North British Railway Class L (LNER Class C16) 4-4-2T No. 67495 stands at North Berwick Station after arrival with the 4.31pm train from Drem on 1st May, 1954. No. 67495 was built by the NBL Co. and entered service as NBR No. 451 in April 1916. It became LNER No. 9451 in 1923, was renumbered 7495 in 1946, and was withdrawn in May 1956. [W.A.C. Smith]( Collapse )